Friday 23 June 2017

Why I'm Walking: Sue Tuffin, Year 5 teacher, Victoria

"I have been quite overwhelmed by the support I've received for the Walk My Way endeavour.

I decided to do the walk in the last school holidays when I was writing and planning the Year 5&6 Christian Studies units for this term. We like to use the ALWS material for our CS lessons during the term that we have Vicki (Gollasch from ALWS) visit for Awareness Day.

This year we also held a Market Day where students set up stalls and sold goods or services to our school community as a fundraiser.

Everyone has been so generous and supportive.

It's funny that my original fundraising target was $260 and now donations have reached over $1700! 

That's over 65 refugee kids! A HUGE thank you to everyone who has sponsored me.

I've also planned a couple of little extra things for my walk.

Firstly, I'm going to carry 6 litres of water on my back as a way of understanding what many women and girls have to do on a daily basis as they are usually the ones who collect the water.

I have also recruited my daughter Samantha who is a young teacher at the Lutheran school in Mildura to participate and also a dear friend of ours from Adelaide. The walk will unite us for a day as we don't get to see each other very often and this will be a lovely, shared memory."

- Sue Tuffin, Year 5 teacher at Good Shepherd Lutheran Primary School, Victoria

Thank you, Sue! To sponsor Sue or another Walker, and help even MORE refugee kids go to school, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment